Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Plaxic-UH-OH: Don’t Be So Quick To Judge Burress’ Blunder

After watching the interview of Plaxico Burress by Bill Cowher on Super Bowl Sunday, it reminded me of an opinion/reaction piece I wrote when the incident happened back in November of 2008. Here's a different spin to all the coverage Burress received...


After reading countless news sources and watching multiple sports news programs over the last few days, I want to address the Plaxico Burress situation.

First off, before you make ANY assumptions, wait until the facts come out. Before you make judgments after watching “Sports Center”, or “NFL Live” on ESPN, hang tight. And, before your wife convinces you that Plaxico Burress is the Devil, just chill out for a second.

Of course ESPN is going to portray Burress as a “Thug” or “Criminal,” because they have to. In case you forgot, ESPN is owned by Disney; the same company that brought your innocent little daughters and sons “Hannah Montana” and “The Jonas Brothers.” How can they condone athletes “packing heat?”

Now I am not going to pretend that I know what it’s like to be a professional athlete, or more specifically, what it’s like to be Plaxico Burress. But neither should you. I grew up in the cozy, affluent town of Stony Brook, nestled on the north shore beaches of Long Island. I am stereotyping, but I absolutely have no idea what it was like to grow up dirt poor, in the “ghetto,” with rampant gangs, etc., where guns are a part of the culture: a status symbol.

Burress grew up in Norfolk, Virginia. I am not saying he grew up on the streets of Compton, like Snoop Dogg or Dr. Dre portray in their lyrics, but he has risen to the top of his profession, and in turn, has become a target. Burress carries a Five year, $35 million dollar contract wherever he goes. Just a little more that you or I make, eh?

And don’t be a hypocrite either. The number one song in America right now and probably prominent in your iPod playlist is by the rapper “T.I.,” who is going to jail for a “year and a day” on weapons charges. T.I.’s bodyguard and best friend was gunned down, which led to T.I. purchasing the illegal assault firearms for protection.

To all of you Giants fans out there: Don’t be fooled or convinced that Burress can be replaced. He was absolutely instrumental in the Giants amazing Super Bowl run last year. Remember that little third down conversion to David Tyree that will forever be known as the “Helmet Catch” that kept the winning drive alive? The Patriots’ double-coverage of Burress allowed Tyree to be open and put in the situation to make that play. He will be missed…don’t convince yourself otherwise, or listen to the talk radio, or TV shows that say he won’t. Just wait and see. Domenik Hixon is a far cry from the Pro-Bowler-caliber Burress.

I have to acknowledge ESPN for allowing one of their analysts to speak the truth. Former Pro Bowler Marcellus Wiley, who did grow up “On the streets of Compton,” spoke with Bob Ley on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines: First Report” program. Don’t think Wiley’s a thug though…he has a degree from Columbia University…an Ivy League school. He was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1997, and spent four years with the Bills. Wiley admitted today that in his first two years in the NFL, he carried a weapon for protection. Last time I checked, the streets of Orchard Park, in upstate New York, aren’t that tough. He said that he did it for protection, because having grown up with nothing and now making millions, he automatically became a target from jealous people who think he owes them something.

Wiley said that while he was carrying his “piece”, his mindset would shift into attack mode. A stranger could approach him innocently to ask for directions, and Wiley would automatically think they were going to rob him. After two years of this mental strain, he threw the gun out of his window on the highway, on the way home from practice one day. He never carried a gun again.

But listen to what Brandon Jacobs, Burress’ teammate said about the incident:

"It's tough out there for us and a lot of people don't know that," the Giants' running back said after the Giants' 23-7 victory over the Redskins. "It's tough in everyday life for us to be targeted. Some people are very bothered by it. That's why I stay home." He went on to add, “"In the streets, with me, there's no need for it," Jacobs said.”But if you come between that door frame in my home, I'm going to kill you."

Jacobs’ comments ironically come a day after the one year anniversary of the death of Sean Taylor. Taylor was killed in his home when a group of teens tried to rob his Miami home. The Redskins honored Taylor, unveiling his name and jersey number in their “Ring.” The irony is that during the video highlight tribute on the stadium Jumbo-tron, the song that accompanied Taylor’s tribute was “Big Things Poppin,” by, you guessed it, T.I.

So what’s the answer? Should athletes just stay home? Maybe…but I think Tony Siragusa said it best during the Giants-Redskins telecast on Sunday: “If I was ever at a place where they would wand me with a metal detector at the door, I would turn around and go home.”


I’ve been to the hot spots in New York City and Miami. I’ve gone to the clubs, seen the athletes and celebrities and loved every minute of it. During the NBA preseason, the table I was at one Wednesday night at the Pink Elephant in NYC was directly next to Celtics’ star Paul Pierce. He was in town to play exhibition games against the Knicks and Nets and took some time have a little fun before the Celtics tried to defend their crown.

What I didn’t know at the time was that Pierce was stabbed back in 2000 at a nightclub in Boston. Shortly after that, Pierce bought firearms legally, and got permits for all. He took the courses, registered everything, and exercised his Second Amendment right. So when I read that today, it got me thinking…were Pierce and/or his entourage “packing” that night at the Pink Elephant?

Now I am not condoning people who carry guns, especially that aren’t permitted. But we can’t be so quick to judge situations we don’t have first-hand experience in. As the DMX lyrics go, “Walk in my shoes, hurt your feet, then know why I do dirt in the street.”

We can’t pretend we know what it’s like to be Burress. You can judge him for his stupidity, yes. But don’t judge him for anything else…

So the next time you are at a club and see a professional athlete, it’s fair to wonder if he is carrying a concealed weapon.

Maybe we should all follow Siragusa’s advice and call it a night…it’s your choice…

No comments:

Post a Comment