Wednesday, February 10, 2010

AFTER A DISMAL FIRST HALF, HERE'S A POSITIVE FOR THE NEW JERSEY NETS

With the NBA All-Star game approaching this weekend in Dallas, I can’t help but think what a difference a year makes.

Last year at this time, the New Jersey Nets had 23 wins at the break and sent their star guard Devin Harris to the game.

This year, Devin and the Nets have compiled an abysmal four…yes FOUR wins.

So, with the first half of ’09-’10 season in the books – one that we’d all like to forget – I wanted to share a positive from ’08-‘09 to go with all of the negatives the Nets have had in ’09-’10.


NOVEMBER 19th, 2008

I remember when I first met Devin Harris like it was yesterday.

Freshman year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I lived on the fifth floor of the Sellery Hall dormitory. The southeast dorms were enormous, consisting of three buildings, each holding about 1100 kids. Devin was friends with a girl who lived on my floor. One day, coming back from the library, word traveled that Devin and fellow hoopster Deandre Buchanan “were on our floor!”

Being from New York, I didn’t really know too much about High School Basketball in the state of Wisconsin. I knew Devin was named “Mr. Basketball” and people predicted he would have a good career at UW. But no one could have predicted where he would be at eight years later.

So, a couple of the guys and I pretended we had a question for the girl whose room the hoops players were in. We went in, “accidentally” introduced ourselves and figured we were going to be buds…well, at least in my dorky mind.

The crazy thing is that it actually happened.

Over the next three seasons in Madison, Devin went from high school “Mr. Basketball” to “Big Ten Player of the Year.” He started as a freshman (’01-02) and helped lead new coach Bo Ryan to a share of the Big Ten Championship, a feat not accomplished since 1947. Devin’s sophomore season is regarded as his “breakout season.” He and then senior, Kirk Penny, lead the Badgers to their second-consecutive Big Ten Conference Championship and to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.

I was at the Kohl Center for all of his big games. I stormed the court when the Badgers beat Michigan to claim a share of the Big Ten Title in 2002. I was there when the student section was named the “Grateful Red” in the ’02-03 season. I saw him drop 38 points against Minnesota that year. I saw Devin score 29 points against Illinois, none more important than his two free throws in the final seconds to beat the Fighting Illini and give Wisconsin the Big Ten Conference Title outright. We stormed the court that night, celebrated with Devin and the team on State Street until the early morning hours, making class “optional” the following day.

Devin and I were always friendly over our three years together in Madison. We hung out occasionally, ran into each other randomly at College Library, a College Court house party, or a State Street bar. He’d always acknowledge me. We’d catch up a bit, and being the journalism major I was, I’d always try to get the dirt on the team, or any inside info we didn’t learn from ESPN, the Wisconsin State Journal, or even the Badger Herald. We had mutual friends, so we saw each other a decent amount. No matter how much success he had on the court, he always had time for me. I never forgot that.

In his junior year, Devin entered the season as one of the top players in the nation. This Wauwatosa East kid was now making a name for himself on the national stage. He averaged 19.5 points per game and led the Badgers to the Big Ten Tournament Title, received Big Ten Player of the Year honors, Second Team All-American, and took the team to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

In his mind, it was time for a bigger challenge…the NBA.

When Harris declared himself eligible for the NBA, a lot of people thought he wasn’t ready. I myself thought another year would only benefit him. He’d be a favorite to win National Player of the Year, increase his draft status, and help the Badgers make a run deep in the NCAA tournament, which seemed like the logical choice. It was probably us Badgers being selfish, not wanting to share our guy with anyone else. And wanting another season of greatness for our University, especially for my senior year!

But what if he got hurt? Or worse, a career-ending injury? The fear of “what if” and the promise of millions proved to be too much, and on May 5th, 2004, Devin Lamar Harris declared himself eligible for the NBA Draft.

Devin shocked even the most hardcore Badger fans when the Dallas Mavericks maneuvered a deal to draft him 5th overall. We’d always been a football school, with Heisman Trophy running back Ron Dayne recently dominating the Big Ten under Barry Alvarez. But now, our skinny point guard from a Milwaukee suburb was a “Lottery Pick” in the 2004 NBA Draft.

We lost touch after he got drafted. He moved to Dallas, changed his phone number…probably because of all of the calls from his “new-found” friends after he got “Lottery Pick” money. But I kept following his career, rooted hard for the former Badger and college friend, and even bought an authentic Mavericks jersey with ‘Harris’ and his number “34” on the back. I had to “represent” my favorite Badger in the Big Apple.

Over the next two years, Harris made a name for himself in the League. A decent rookie season, followed by an improved second year put him on pace to be the role player people expected. He ended his second year averaging 9.9 points and 3.2 assists per game for Dallas. He sustained a leg injury, but returned for the Mavericks playoff run. He faced off against Marquette University rival, Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals, with the Golden Eagle and Shaquille O’Neal prevailing over the former Badger.

Harris continued his success over the next few years with the Mavs. By 2006-2007, he was the starting point guard, and by 2007-08 was named a team co-captain with Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavericks gave Harris a 5-year contract extension on September 12, 2007, worth more than $42 million.

Halfway through the season, on February 19, 2008, averaging 14.4 points and 5.4 assists per game, the Mavericks traded Harris to the New Jersey Nets in a “win now” move, acquiring the elder Jason Kidd, along with other role players in a seven-player deal.

It was crystal clear. After the embarrassing playoff loss to 8th seeded Golden State the previous year, the team looked to veteran Jason Kidd to take them over the hump. And on the other side, the Nets looked to Harris as the future of its franchise.

I spent part of the 2008 summer in Chicago for work. Devin was training out there with Nets teammate Bobby Simmons and our mutual college friends were living and working there since graduation. We hung out a bunch, just like old times. Despite the $42 million contract in his back pocket, Dev was the same skinny kid I met seven years ago. But don’t get me wrong…drinks were DEFINITELY on him now.

He even took me out to the clubs a couple of times when we both returned to the New York City that fall. I was rolling around town with a premiere NBA point guard, watching people flip out, ask for pictures with him -- all in the greatest city in the world…but it made me laugh…it’s just Devin.

Last night, I saw Devin play against phenom, Lebron James, and the Cleveland Cavaliers. I texted him Friday night after he scored 30 points in a win over the Atlanta Hawks to congratulate him. I asked if he could hook me up with tickets to Tuesday night’s game. I had never seen Devin play since he became a pro, and it wouldn’t be terrible to see the hottest ticket in the NBA…“King” James.

And in typical fashion, Devin told me, “Yeah…you got it man…it’s all taken care of.”

So, two buddies and I hopped on New Jersey transit from Penn Station, took the shuttle bus from the Secaucus Junction stop, and arrived at the Izod Center 30 minutes prior to tip-off. We had three tickets and a “Player Guest Pass” waiting for us at the “will-call” window, and I finally got to see my friend play.

He scored 23 points, but the Nets were overmatched, losing to Lebron and the Cavs, 106-82.

Sitting in the stands, (in amazing seats I might add) I got to thinking -- I am watching my friend play at the highest level of his profession…The starting point guard for an NBA team -- The “face’ of the New Jersey Nets franchise.

And still today, no matter how much success he’s had on the court, he always made time for me. I never forgot that -- and neither has he.

A long way from high school “Mr. Basketball,” but vintage Devin, always making time for fellow Badgers, and most importantly, remaining loyal to his biggest fans: his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment